General Residential District 1926
In a General Residence District:
- A) NO BUILDING shall be erected, altered, or used for any other purpose other than:
- 1) CHURCH
- 2) EDUCATIONAL USE
- 3) FARMING, GARDENS, NURSERY, or GREENHOUSE
- 4) MUNICIPAL RECREATIONAL USE
- 5) DWELLINGS, including LODGING HOUSE
- 6) CLUBHOUSE except those which are operating as paid businesses
- 7) TELEPHONE EXCHANGE OFFICE
- 8) Accessory Use Customarily incidental to the above stated uses.
The term "Accessory Use" in this section shall NOT INCLUDE:
- A use on a separate lot
- Garage space for more than two (2) cars.
- A stable for more than two horses or cows
- Any use which is offensive or injurous to a residential neighborhood.
- 9) Garage space for more than two (2) cars or a garage on a separate lot, but
in no case with facilities for reparing cars, a stable for more than two (2)
horses or cows, cemetery, philantropic use, hospital or sanitarium (provides that the
Board of Appeals has deemed that the building's use will not be harmful to the neighborhood
and that the proceedures for notification of abutters has been follwed
( a public hearing to be conducted with notification being mailed
to the last known addtess of all property owners within five-hundred
feet (500ft) of the lot. and said notification be done 15 days before the public hearing).
- B) No part of any building, except unroofed porches, shall be built
within fifteen feet (15 ft) of the street line, provided that no
building need be set back more than fifteen percent (15%) of the
depth of the lot nor more than the setbacks of the buildings on
the lots next thereto on either side. No part of any building, except
unroofed porches, shall be built within fifteen feet (15 ft) of a
vacant lot, or a lot occupied by a building set back more than fifteen
feet (15 ft) being counted as a lot occupied by a building setback
fifteen feet (15 ft).
- C) No dwelling shall be built within thirty feet *30ft) or a distance
equal to thirty percent (30%) of the depth of the lot, which ever is less,
from the rear lot line and no other building except an accessory building
shall be built within fifteen feet (15ft) or a distance equal to fifteeen
percent (15%) of the depth of a lot which ever is less, from the rear
- D) No building shall be built with a sidewall (except a party wall)
within seven feet (7ft) of the side lott line, except nor within
fourteen feet (14ft) of amyother building within the same lot unless
contigous thereto. There shall be a side yard on each side of each
building, provided that not more than four (4) famlies maybe housed
in an attached row or group of buildings.
- E) No building shall exceed a height of thirty-five feet (35ft) or two and
one half stories in heigth unless it sets back from each street and lot line
ten feet in addition to the above requirements plus one foot for each foot
of excess height. The term "half-story" in this Section shall mean
a story in a sloping roof, the area of which at a height of four feet
above the floor does not contain an independent apartment. No building
shall exceed sity feet or four stories in height. No dwelling for more
than one family shall exceed either thirty five feet or two and a half
stories in height providing that any dwelling existing at the time of
the adoption of this Ordinance may be altered to accommodate not more
than two families.
These Ordinances were developed in 1926 and do not translate to current day zoning classifications.